WE ARE OPERATING
COVID-19: business operationsConstruction business has been deemed as an essential business, therefore we are not stopping our services. We are working closely with all the customers and adjusting based on their and our comfort level.
Granite vs Quartz countertops for Kitchen and Bathrooms
Your choice when picking out a countertop for your kitchen will rest on what you want in terms of color, patterns, and textures. Materials range from natural stones, plastic laminate to reclaimed wood, but If you desire to select a natural stone countertop for your kitchen, you may stumble in two equal choices: granite vs quartz countertops for bathrooms and kitchens. In this article we discuss the pros and cons of granite and quartz countertops and help you make a decision if you are undecided between these two.
First it might seem a bit complicated as there is media hype arranged by the manufactures around granite and quartz as natural and solid stones. So, let’s revise further a true difference between granite or quartz countertops.
Let’s move on to discussing the granite vs quartz countertops pros and cons.
Granite is coarse to medium-grained, lightly colored rock that is formed by the slow cooling of magma under the earth’s surface into crystals. This translates to a very hard solid. Due to its heat-resistant properties, it is not prone to wear and tear and finding scratches, chipped edges and blisters are unlikely.
Granite is composed of mineral crystals, majorly feldspar, mica, and quartz. Converting granite into slabs for countertops is a complex process that requires specific tools.
Granite used as kitchen countertops and if properly sealed and treated, bathroom granite countertops are a great option.
- Granite is very beautiful and has a timeless aura and appeal
- It is a natural material
- It elevates an already well-designed kitchen and usually becomes the main attraction
- Granite is very hard and therefore resistant to indentations that can mar its beauty
- Granite resists heat to a great measure which means as a cooktop, you would not have to worry about your pans and pots damaging it
- Granite is also great at keeping stains off and will not absorb liquids if a sealant is properly applied.
It has so many strong points and is very pretty, but its downfall is that if this material is not sealed well or when the sealant wears and no one has gotten around to resealing it. Granite a porous type of natural stone which means that unsealed of badly sealed granite countertops will be susceptible to liquid spillage. Your wines, juices, and oils can get absorbed and lead to difficult to remove stains.
There is a variant that partially solves this problem called treated granite and can stay up to 10 years without needing to be resealed, but a good number of granite countertops will require yearly sealing. If this process is overlooked, it won’t be long before your kitchen countertops are covered in stains.
- It can crack if a heavy object is placed on top of it at a corner, even though it is generally very durable, and this unfortunate event is thankfully rare.
- They are also pricey. Expect to pay $75 for each square foot and prices going up to $250 are not unheard of.
- Granite has unique patterns. Simultaneously, it can’t propose homogeneous color and appearance in general. So, this point can be either pros or cons depending on your vision and preferred style.
- Granite countertops for bathroom require every-year sealing.
- Granite is well known as a sturdy material. It doesn’t mean that it is infrangible. This organic stone demands careful behavior.
- The seams in the granite are impossible to avoid, but a reputable fabricator will do the best to avoid their visual appearance
- Please be aware the store samples might be a little bit different from those intended for your house. It is better to pick up a full slab to prevent any risks.
The material for these kitchen countertops is not mined but is engineered within a factory. The main constituent is ground quartz which makes up 94% and polyester resins are added for improved binding of crystals while pigments are included for the production of various hues.
Due to their non-porosity bathroom quartz countertops in Toronto are great and will surely make for a stylish bathroom.
- In contrast to wood or natural stone, quartz is completely unabsorbent and does not require sealing.
- Quartz is easy to keep clean and all that is needed is soap, water and a rag for daily maintenance. Scouring pads should be avoided because they can reduce its shine and harsh chemicals can cause the bonds between the quartz and resins to disintegrate.
- The non-porosity of quartz which is a result of the added resins not just prevents stains but also protects your kitchen quartz countertop from bacteria, mold, and mildew.
- It is easy to customize. Some manufacturers will sell jumbo slabs for continuous runs of countertops but even with the usual 60 by 120 inches slabs, the seams are difficult to delineate. Polyester resins make for better carves without the chipping that occurs with natural stone. Designers can shape it into sinks and other curved surfaces because of its extra flexibility.
- Quartz slabs are extremely heavy. Though polyester resins make them less brittle, they can crack during shipping and installation if not handled properly and so you should leave the installation to experts.
- They are expensive at a price of between $45 to $100 per square foot installed in Toronto
- It is not resistant to extreme heat. Manufacturers in Toronto usually place the maximum temperature at 400 degrees Fahrenheit but abrupt changes or sustained heat from a pot kept on the countertop can cause it to crack.
- You might want it installed in an outdoor kitchen and that just wouldn’t work because it cannot weather direct sunlight. This will cause the colors to fade.
Other advantages and disadvantages for Kitchen quartz countertops are following:
- The endurance of quartz is also unquestionable as regarding granite’s facilities. Coincidently, quartz can boast with its more resilience. It means the absence of possible fractures further.
- The non-porous surface of quartz doesn’t presume any sealing. You never have to worry about your work surface of kitchen quartz countertops.
- Quartz is persistent in spots and splashes but requires immediate polish. But remember, it is not considered as indestructible at all.
- Please avoid direct sun rays if you do not desire color deviation for your favorable stone. Particularly, it is crucial in the case of the counter’s parts’ separation in different light zones.
- Seams can be less visible if you select a darker tone for a quartz slab.
Granite vs Quartz countertops is a difficult decision to make and we’ll discuss it from different angles.
- Radon is a radioactive gas that is present naturally in granite due to the disintegration of radium. Significant research has shown that the amount is minimal and acceptable in the usual granite building material and does not pose a threat as we are exposed to higher amounts of radioactivity by just going outside.
- Quartz is more durable than granite which implies a long life-span and retention of beauty
- The price difference between the two is something that you should consider.
- Another is, what is your opinion concerning natural vs engineered products
- Quartz is easier to clean and maintain when compared to granite
- While granite is classy and adds a down-to-earth touch to your kitchen, Quartz is modern and sophisticated.
You have plenty of choices while you are thinking about what stone looks perfect according to your wishes. Each granite slab has a unique mineral color and pattern. Quartz countertops have a more uniformed appearance thanks to its engineering nature.
If talking about composition, we can see a pure nature of the granite procured from stone pits. The process is the following: the granite is cutting into slabs, then, a proper planishing should be provided which is ready for further production of granite countertops for bathroom. The countertops made of quartz are well known as engineered stone goods. The main difference from granite is the possibility of the content of other materials except for quartz. So, these stone byproducts can be granulated and then, are formed into thin slabs applicable for countertops manufacturing.
If you ask me about durability, I will definitely say that both materials have exceptional endurance. Simultaneously, quartz has an undeniable advantage over granite thanks to its homogeneity and an absence of fractures. Granite is a porous stone requiring a sealing. Unfortunately, it tends to crack. Due to the resin quartz doesn’t require appropriate sealing. These resins stimulate quartz to be sustained to spreading of bacteria.
Both quartz countertops for bathroom and granite countertops for bathroom are considered as a premium material. It means that high-grade substance can’t be low-end. You should consider it before the respective buying. Price range for granite is from $65 to $120 based on the selected style. Price for kitchen quartz countertops is lower, in fact it can be somewhere between $45 – $85 (installed). However, price is only one advantaged among many others quartz countertops have.
Do it yourself
Please be aware that DYI installation is prohibited except vanity countertops for bathroom. One and the other are dangerously heavy and massive components. So, there is no necessity to risk with DYI installation. It is better to have a pro fabricator and installer for kitchen quartz countertops or granite countertops for bathroom, particularly if you have already paid for valuable stone.
Considering ecological subcomponent, granite countertops beat quartz countertops a little bit just because of its pure nature (one hundred percent of natural stone). Quarts consist of 93% organic material including polymer resins and color pigments. Carbon emissions become fewer at time of granite production. Please don’t forget that granite countertops are possible to get only from quarry when quartz countertops require only stone byproducts without additional extraction.
The two kitchen quartz countertops and granite countertops for bathroom are composed of high-grade elements boosting a stylish look and precious value of your house. Granite is able to propose you a genuine look of eco-materials while quartz suggests simpler maintenance with strong durability.
Do not hesitate to explore valuable information before you make the right decision. You should read various opinions about the pros and cons of both stones. When you dip into this subject, you will notice something common which can be beneficial for you.
You might be astonished by so diverse impressions from owners of granite and quartz countertops. However, the two are completely satisfied with a high-grade condition. Anyhow, you are free from worries and able to purchase a countertop that you will adore.
Whatever you pick, both as kitchen and bathroom countertops they are gorgeous, and it boils down to your personal preference, pocket, and kitchen design. So it is worthy of all your attention to the selection process of your right countertops. The right chosen stone will delight you every time you enter the kitchen or bathroom. There is no mistaken selection; everything depends on your preferred personal decision.